Town of Slave Lake Visual Identity
As is said, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The following illustrates the many themes and symbols used as inspiration in the creation of the new Town of Slave Lake visual identity.
Why did the Town create a new logo?
- The new logo was developed to align with the new Town of Slave Lake brand messaging.
- The new logo also supports the region’s economic development efforts moving forward by strengthening the overarching brand of the Town while it works to attract businesses and investors to the area and make meaningful connections with target audiences including prospective businesses, residents, and visitors.
What is the new Slave Lake brand messaging?
The key messages that have been developed are:
- A Strong Community
- One of Canada’s youngest communities, the people of Slave Lake work hard, take care of one another, and embody an ambitious and resilient spirit that allows for bountiful opportunities.
- Unlocking Access to the Great Outdoors
- Slave Lake is home to raw, untamed nature and is committed to building the capacity necessary for visitors to experience.
- Northern Connectivity
- Slave Lake has the infrastructure, geographic location, and market connectivity needed to empower the creation of a thriving economy that connects north-central Alberta on a global scale.
Why did the logo need to change?
- The previous logo dates back to the 1970’s and was designed primarily for print applications.
- The new logo is designed to clearly identify the Town of Slave Lake in digital applications and mobile platforms.
What does the logo symbolize?
- The key themes that the logo captures are Adventure, Outdoors and Community.
- Adventure: navigation, four seasons, nautical/lake.
- Outdoors: Sunrise/start of a new day, tree rings/history, ripple/water.
- Community: connected, welcoming/happy, unique/personable.
Who provided input throughout the process?
- Throughout the branding and logo design process, the Town has engaged with hundreds of community stakeholders including residents, business owners, associations and groups, regional partners, Council, and Town staff about how they view Slave Lake and how they believe Slave Lake should be represented.
How much will this cost?
- The cost of the visual identity project is part of several different Economic Development projects, contracts and initiatives between the Town and Incite. The costs of these services and projects were budgeted for in the 2022 budget which can be viewed here. The final budget for the rollout of the new logo and brand has not yet been approved and will likely form part of the 2023 Operating Budget deliberations. An initial budget of $30,000 was approved by Council on August 9th, 2022, to assist with the initial rollout and transition.
When will we start seeing the new logo?
- The new logo will appear on new Town marketing pieces, including brochures, posters, advertisements, and social media beginning in late August.
- The old logo will be phased out on Town assets and infrastructure by December 31st 2023.
Harnessing the Essence of Our Town
A town brand isn't created; it already exists as the essence of the place you're branding. To discover what's special about our community, we:
- Consulted stakeholders to get their thoughts and gain insight
- Worked with consultants to identify the brand
- Created a new visual identity
- Developed an action plan to attract investors, visitors, and new residents.
The Town of Slave Lake brand story is created by 3 aspects
A strong Community
One of Canada's youngest communities, the people of Slave Lake work hard, take care of one another, and embody an ambitious and resilient spirit that allows for bountiful opportunities.
Unlocking Access to the Great Outdoors
Slave Lake is home to raw, untamed nature and is committed to building the capacity necessary for visitors to experience some of Alberta's best outdoor recreation.
Slave Lake has the infrastructure, geographic location, and market connectivity needed to empower the creation of a thriving economy that connects north-central Alberta on a global scale.
What our New Brand Means for You
- Demonstrates community cohesiveness to attract community-minded business owners, residents, and visitors.
- Provides an opportunity to leverage connections across our partners.
- Put forward an updated and modern approach to telling the story of the Town of Slave Lake.